How can you not fall in love with the evocative atmosphere of the charming San Gimignano, Italy? The tower-houses that make its profile so famous, the typical flavors of the place, the beauty of the Cathedral and of the surrounding countryside, make it a real artistic and cultural treasure, today a Unesco Human heritage Site.
If you are planning to visit Tuscany, a trip to San Gimignano Italy is definitely worthy. Here we suggest you 5 things to see and to do in downtown:
- Towers itinerary: the characteristic towers of San Gimignano Italy made the place known as the “Medieval Manhattan”. Dating back to the Municipal Time, the towers were originally 72 and were constructed to show off the power of the most important families. Today only 16 survive: the oldest one is Torre Rognosa (51 m) while the highest one is Torre Grossa (54 m)
- The Cathedral: considered one of the most beautiful examples of the Romanic style in the region, the cathedral of San Gimignano, Italy was finished in 1148 and today it hosts some incredible masterpieces by the renowned artists Benozzo Gozzoli and the Ghirlandaio.
- Torture Museum: this special museum illustrates the numerous and terrible tortures used in the Medieval Times, shown in books and parchments sided by original Medieval tools, like the famous Norimberga Virgin, a sort of sarcophagus whose internal iron parts were covered in stings. A very curious and naïve place to visit, just right for those who are brave enough
- Spezieria di Santa Fina: if you want to know how an old pharmacy was, you have to visit Santa Fina. The beautiful pots made in ceramics or glass, with the medicines and herbs, will make you feel like you’re living in the fascinating world of Medieval medicine.
- Vernaccia wine and Saffron: San Gimignano Italy has just two specialties. The saffron spice had a very important role in the economic development of the country, while Vernaccia today is considered one of the best white wine in Tuscany.
If you want to try saffron recipes and Vernaccia Wine, you can book a dinner at the Restaurant of Hotel Casolare Terre Rosse, one of the best restaurants in San Gimignano Italy, a rustic yet elegant club where you can taste the typical dishes of the region, made of vegetables, meat and truffles.